urban switching shelf layout - feedback please
New Annieville is a medium sized HO scale switching layout on a two foot shelf of 12 foot length. The design principles include a strong industrial supply chain focus and tightly spaced urban setting.
New Annieville is designed with expandability in mind. As well as the mainline extending to the right, there are curved tracks leaving at both front and rear of the shelf, allowing either peninsula or through-wall expansion.
- Spots for up to 15 industries
- One medium offset runaround and one small mainline runaround ensure operational challenges
- Switchback and direct spurs
- Appealing visuals
o Diamond crossing near front
o Long viewing angles
o Some angled industries
o “main street” background area
o Mix of “flats”, low profile, angled half-structures, and full structures
- Expandable and modular compatible
- With very little effort the layout could be squeezed into a slimmer shelf (16” to 18”) but the scenic possibilities for structures would be sacrificed.
- As drawn, the leftmost 3 feet are tapered off to ease room entry, however, this same section could be straightened into a connector for additional modular expansion.
- A 90 degree crossing mainline could easily be added to the right of the curved expansion tracks, to join the through-wall and peninsula modules.
>> Posts index