It seems that keeping a layout clean means more than just keeping the clutter off the scenery. I seem to have a lot of what is so called dustbunnies building up on the layout. Spiders also seem to find my corners and seem to make webs everywhere I look. Short of breaking out the monster vacuum, what do you do for general cleaning of said issues, and is there a way of preventing at least the critters from returning?
Just wondering what happened to Paul, Ryan and the podcast. There haven't been any updates since Oct 2012.
The names have been changed to protect the innocent!
Because of some recent posts devoted to odd electrical problems, I'd like to see a blog started on how anyone has handle(d) these. (I'd prefer a MRH article but I'll take examples and helpful information on techniques wherever I can get them.)
For this blog I'd like to see folks describe, in as much detail as they're willing to provide, answers to the following questions:
I finished up two home made track cleaning cars. The design is simple, a 1x2 for the frame, added trucks and couplers, then a cork cleaning pad glued onto a old car weight. The pad slides across the rails, giving them a good wipe. The pad is held in place by two nails, glued to the top of the weight. I added three nuts to give the car more weight.
I used three of these cars. I push one ahead of a loco, then a second car with Liquid Wrench on the pad, then a third car trailing with a dry cork pad. Works great and keeps things running fine.
One issue that I encountered building the layout is that occasionally the switch motor installation needed a bit of tweaking before it worked correctly. The tortoise motor always worked, but sometimes the motor position, alignment or extended actuator wire shape was, shall we say, suboptimal. I had been hooking things up, then wandering around with the throttle and triggering the motors with switch commands. But I found this was a pain, particularly when the turnout was in an inaccessible part of the layout.
Sometime ago, there was a blog entry admiring a workbench purchased from a box type of store in the ( I think ) Northwest. I have searched the blogs with the search engine and reading them again and can't seem to find the entry. If you could help, I would appreciate it.
Trying to do the Rio Grande in New Mexico
In December 2011 Rick Wade started a thread on goals for 2012. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/6579
I thought it would be interesting to review my goals and see what I accomplished toward those goals. And also look at what I had done that wasn't included in my goals.
This is the 2nd and maybe 3rd time (Need to look back at some past MRH for the other time) I have been quoted in MRH. Last Month in Nov 2012 and then this Month in Dec 2012.
It is also unexpected to see something you have done show up in the Sunday e-mailer from MRH too. This has happened a few times too.
This is a Plus for MRH and Joe in pulling stuff from the forums to add to the monthly MRH e-Magazine.
Thanks for the surprise.
As it seems my Free-moN modules have now become my "home layout", thought I'd start a new thread featuring the whole kit-n-keboodle rather than individual modules.
'Twas a busy weekend: on Saturday I set up all my modules in my garage to 1) troubleshoot, 2) see it if fit in my garage (a "California Basement") and 3) run trains!
Only took about a kabillion hours to get everything going, but once it did...!
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- Great Northern 4-8-4 Big Boy
- 300 square inch challenge
- Industry Ave - a modular switching layout
- Stratch built plumbing supply store.
- BEST TRAIN WATCH VIDEO YET
- Recent Rolling Stock Projects
- Ronny's Pawn completes the first block of Hammerjacks
- Putting them all together
- The Colorado and Southern in Sn3
- Building a GE 85 ton steeple cab: available for printing.