Ten years later, I start on the other side of the structures..
About ten years ago, I built a bunch of DPM kits but left the unseen half untouched, using MDF for the backwalls. Since then, I've found that these structures as they stand don't fit. So I had to remember what paints I used on the initially completed portions and apply these to the fresh ones. This, folks isn't as easy as it sounds. Ten years is a long time in modelling and paints change or don't even exist.
A wee bit of detective work was required. On the insides of these older parts, I found some overspray from a very light ceramic colour. I remember the can, but it's been long gone. This is going to mean a number of things. First off, is the most reluctant answer. Having to strip the old walls and remove and strip the window castings, plus the very nice painted wall ad. There has to be an easier way !
Then I remembered..and how's this for total recall? I had tried the lighter ceramic colour but it turned out too light,so it was then covered over using a darker maroon colour. Well, I was impressed, but there's still a wrinkle,and the woods still surround me. There is a wash over this,of my favourite grey wash (mid grey house acrylic) which I used for everything. I loved this paint. (I will add, that the finished wall had the appearance of staying with the lighter paint which was very confusing)
Well, let's give it a try. Rattled the can and had at it. A lovely even coat. Next, the grey wash. Bingo. Matches exactly the work I had done ten years prior!
The windows pretty well worked out the same, suffice to say that Tamiya paints, if they keep, do their job well years later.
What I did do during all this was to decide to complete every wall of a structure that isn't going to be a flat and give it a base. I decided on 6mm ply. That way the chances of being able to re-use a structure is greatly increased and I don't have to go back and sweat I still have the same paints. The ply base will also give much needed strength.
One other thing, DPM plastic goes brittle over the years. You can't go using side cutters to desprue. Use a jewellers saw.
>> Posts index