NTS 2012: Those ExactRail Wheelsets
Okay, I went over to ExactRail before the show closed so I could get some photos of their new wheelsets - they come in brass, nickel-silver (which is plated brass, I believe) and blackened.
Now, the whole idea was to get a more prototypical appearance out of the things. That's it - and according to Blaine, the machine they got to both make the stepped appearance on the axle as well as the curves on the inside of the wheel was a whole lot more expensive than one that they could have gotten to just make them in the regular shapes.
Both .088 and .110 will be available. The wheel flanges meet RP25 contours.
The axle tapers to the middle because that's what the prototype axles do - it's purely an appearance thing and has no effect on performance. Trying to focus in on these things with my telephoto lens was an experience. I need to buy a macro lens.
Brass version - see the axle taper.
The above is the blackened version - I don't expect that the wear points will stay blackened very long.
The inside contours of the wheel.
The outside contours. .
That's it guys. I expect they'll have a very nice rolling ability based on the needle axles - I didn't get the axle lengths though, sorry.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- Stratch built plumbing supply store.
- BEST TRAIN WATCH VIDEO YET
- Recent Rolling Stock Projects
- Ronny's Pawn completes the first block of Hammerjacks
- Putting them all together
- The Colorado and Southern in Sn3
- Building a GE 85 ton steeple cab: available for printing.
- Building turnouts N scale-Bonneville and Guadalajara RR
- Introduction & my TT-scale models
- Small Battery Powered Drill Motor