The 120 Day Challenge Second addition to Rico 3 Stall Engine House
With as much time as this took I was afraid I would never get the windows in place.
This first photo only shows 7 of the 13 windows per side and the side doors on the two 125 foot long walls
The upper wall is the exterior with the 24" wide brick pillars and the lower shot shows the interior wall with the roofs 10" X 10" timber supports.
I also stained the 10" X 10" timber interior Roof supports and the 8" X 8" timber on two sides of each of the 2 center rows of 10" X 10s" also the interior sides of the walls 10" X 10s" had an 8" X 8" timber attached to each to hold the rafters once I get those built. I will still need to touch up the places where I got paint on the bricks where it shouldn't be but that is the easy part.
The next photos show the 6 inspection pits except for the cross braces and Rails. For now and to show the progress I just stood the Timber roof supports up just to see how they look so they haven't been squared up yet or attached to anything.
If you notice the different colors of the Bricks. The exterior wall surfaces are made of Plastruck HO scale Architectural Plastic Brick sheets Where the interior Brick walls I printed on my printer using "Evan Designs" Model Builder Software and the Brickyard expansion CD. To attach both interior and exterior brick I glued to them to evergreen Scale Models .060"Sheet Styrene with a very thin layer of Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue spread on each wall piece and sandwiched together with a few heavy reference books laid over the top to make sure everything dried flat and square. I was going to use 3/32" Plywood but I was afraid the plywood would warp when using the water base glue so I decided to go with the Styrene to avoid that problem.
I still have to add a 15" (HO Scale) high concrete base along each exterior wall and both ends to build with 3 Double Engine Doors on each end and the floor of the Engine House was mostly gravel and coal dust and ash. I'll be testing a few different material to get the correct look before I glue anything to the Engine House floor plus I still need to lay the Tracks through the Engine house so I can start construction on the interior details and the removable roof.
The next steps of construction should be much easier than the windows were as had to custom make them.
Oh and I still need to install the glass in the windows and make operational hinges for the 6 sets of doors I'm working on next. I will also be adding the rafter stringers and support stringers before my next installment as well as attaching power wires through the floor to the rails with quick disconnects because this module will be removable from the main table.
The original Engine House didn't have electric lights but I think I will add lighting to the interior to improve the over all effect of the models interior.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- Brauman Paper Company
- Setting your freight car standard
- Newest Projects
- B&B - An overdue update.
- Quintin Schini's M&IN Railroad, a part of INRAIL
- Help finding Smokebox Cover for Brass Mohawk
- How to prevent or minimize dust on your layout
- Simulation of hot metal and slag in a blast furnace cast house
- My new Blog
- N scale Ontario Midland in Sodus, NY with no selective compression.