MRH 120-day Challenge: I hope Tim Warris doesn't sue me for patent infringement....
A month after my first post, I finally get to laying track, starting with the double-track passenger station. I was planning to use Fast Tracks Sweep Sticks + Space Gages to straighten the track and control the spacing, however I discovered that for some reason I only ordered two of the straight Sweep Sticks (ie. 40" total, not enough to lay two parallel 6' tracks. Not really even enough to lay two 3' sections at a time). And here it is, Saturday of a long weekend -- what to do?
Every problem has a workaround: I used a Sweep Stick to set the rip fence on my table saw, and ran a scrap piece of click-together laminate flooring through the blade a few times, yielding pieces about 40" long. It snaps nicely in between the rails of the flex-track, just like the piece it was copied from:
Next I had to set the spacing. My wife suggested making something with Lego (of which we have a lot) and a little experimentation showed that four "thins" set between the tie-ends gave exactly the spacing I want. So while she assembled several Lego spacers, I modified some Space Gages to fit over my improvised alignment sticks. In the end, it looked like this:
I used DAP latex caulk for track adhesive and let it set overnight. This morning was spent on wiring, and the Big Test came this afternoon.
And here they go:
I liked the long alignment sticks and I'll probably keep using them. In retrospect, we probably didn't need the Lego spacers after I modified the Space Gages, but they didn't hurt. Next step: build some turnouts so this can be connected to a larger yard, and to the main. Unfortunately, I've got commitments most evenings this week, and then it will be time to start preparing for a camping trip....
>> Posts index