Track spacing in yards and mainline
Just beginning the design and build of a HO scale railroad layout. Some basic questions I do not see much discussion about.
When building a yard, how wide should the track spacing be? It seems to me 2 inch spacing center to center is wide enough to do basic yard operations or disconnect a car. The other part of that question is spacing if you are running a two track mainline. Again, 2 inch spacing appears to be sufficient except on curves where 2.5 inches seems enough based on running the 89' auto carriers and other long cars. But I have not found any discussion about what is a recommended spacing for either case. Curves there is discussion on how to figure that out. WHich is how I came up with the 2.5 inch spacing based on actually setting up the curves and measuring the cars as they negotiate the curves.
Second question is how often would a rerailer track be necessary on a layout? Have never seen any discussion on that topic. But I assume there are some recommended locations for a rerailer. Any suggestions from anyone.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- where my layout idea is from
- Starting small
- Building Crossovers with Fast Tracks Turnouts
- A visit to the Wiskey Central
- Richlawn RR V2 - Background hills rock coloring & foliage
- Scratchbuilt Gantry Crane/Yard Lights
- N&W Pokey District, Sub 1 3/4 New Update
- HO Scale Police Vehicle with Flashing LED Lights - OPP
- direct dcc
- Happy Easter from the Essex Terminal Rail