Track spacing in yards and mainline
Just beginning the design and build of a HO scale railroad layout. Some basic questions I do not see much discussion about.
When building a yard, how wide should the track spacing be? It seems to me 2 inch spacing center to center is wide enough to do basic yard operations or disconnect a car. The other part of that question is spacing if you are running a two track mainline. Again, 2 inch spacing appears to be sufficient except on curves where 2.5 inches seems enough based on running the 89' auto carriers and other long cars. But I have not found any discussion about what is a recommended spacing for either case. Curves there is discussion on how to figure that out. WHich is how I came up with the 2.5 inch spacing based on actually setting up the curves and measuring the cars as they negotiate the curves.
Second question is how often would a rerailer track be necessary on a layout? Have never seen any discussion on that topic. But I assume there are some recommended locations for a rerailer. Any suggestions from anyone.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- Honest Joe's
- Cuyahoga River Bridge - Part 3
- Update on BNML Layout Progress
- JL&T Railroad Blog - Change is comming...
- Central California Traction
- Help programing a DIY DCC Servo Function decoder with JMRI - Work on the DCC uncoupler car continues
- Send Picture testing
- Modeler’s License
- My brand new shelf layout
- Just when you thought you have seen it all (track design)