Athearn Recovers R-T-R tooling
Athearn Division of Horizon Hobby has recovered its product tooling that was impounded when one of its Chinese manufacturing partners went bankrupt last January (for background see February 2012 MRH, page 103).
According to Vic Audo, Horizon’s Director of Railroad Products, Athearn has successfully retrieved all of the tooling for ready-to-run models that was impounded by Chinese authorities when Creative Masters Limited (CML) shut down its large manufacturing facility in Guangdong Province. Athearn has taken physical possession of the tooling which is currently being inspected by Mike Hopkin, Athearn’s product development director, who flew to China last week.
Impounding the tooling interrupted the scheduled arrival of several ready-to-run models, however, Audo told MRH that Athearn’s upscale-Genesis products and production schedules were never in jeopardy since they only used CML to manufacturer items in their ready-to-run line.
Although final decisions are pending, Audo said that future ready-to-run items will probably be manufactured by the same Chinese partner that has been successfully manufacturing Athearn’s Genesis line. A revised fall delivery schedule is expected to be released within a few weeks.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- 300 square inch challenge
- Industry Ave - a modular switching layout
- Stratch built plumbing supply store.
- BEST TRAIN WATCH VIDEO YET
- Recent Rolling Stock Projects
- Ronny's Pawn completes the first block of Hammerjacks
- Putting them all together
- The Colorado and Southern in Sn3
- Building a GE 85 ton steeple cab: available for printing.
- Building turnouts N scale-Bonneville and Guadalajara RR