Off The Shelf Track Compatibility
Time to lay some track. After reading through the forums and a few trial runs, I've decided to use Atlas code 83 flex and Walthers code 83 turnouts. It will be my first room sized layout and I feel these are good choices for my budget and free time.
But before I place my order, I still have a few questions: Can I neglect the difference in tie sizes between the Atlas flex and Walthers turnouts and is there a compatible low profile rail joiner for these products?
From my test mock-ups, I'm tempted to not shim the turnouts feeling that once joined and ballasted that the difference won't be noticable.
As for rail joiners, I was settled on Micro Engineering joiners but then noticed one catalog stating that these are not for use with Atlas code 83 flex track. Unfortunately, my local hobby shop doesn't stock any Micro Engineering products and I'd rather not mail order a bag just for testing.
Just a few details to settle, hopefully some good discussion will help get the track gang to work soon.
Thanks in advance - Jeff, Proto-Freelancing the L&NE in HO.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- MID SOUTH MODEL RR CLUB UPDATE
- Single-knob X-Over Control Using Bullfrogs
- where my layout idea is from
- Starting small
- Building Crossovers with Fast Tracks Turnouts
- A visit to the Wiskey Central
- Richlawn RR V2 - Background hills rock coloring & foliage
- Scratchbuilt Gantry Crane/Yard Lights
- N&W Pokey District, Sub 1 3/4 New Update
- HO Scale Police Vehicle with Flashing LED Lights - OPP