What is the average lifespan of a railroad car?
Can anyone tell me what the average lifespan of the different types of railroad cars are?
E.g. Boxcars, Tankers, Hoppers etc..
My latyout is set in the year 2000 and although I'm no rivet counter, I would like to keep the cars pretty prototypical for the era.
I'm thinking that cars from the 70's would be fine and also ideal for some of the more extreme weathering, but everything I've read on tinternet seems to be giving conflicting results of exactly how long the different types of cars are in service for before having to be mandatorily retired..
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- Pembroke: Installation Day!
- Grimes Line Final Presentation
- Finding rare gems...
- Safety First on the Trenton Subdivision in N Scale
- Cleveland 2014 - Thursday, Day 5 - Setup for the Train Show
- MEC and B&M Scenic Ongoing Progress
- Flirting with the Sacramento Northern
- Electric/Interurban Heralds
- Mathy timespackle
- More Island Model Works South Shore/NICTD Build Progress