What is the average lifespan of a railroad car?
Can anyone tell me what the average lifespan of the different types of railroad cars are?
E.g. Boxcars, Tankers, Hoppers etc..
My latyout is set in the year 2000 and although I'm no rivet counter, I would like to keep the cars pretty prototypical for the era.
I'm thinking that cars from the 70's would be fine and also ideal for some of the more extreme weathering, but everything I've read on tinternet seems to be giving conflicting results of exactly how long the different types of cars are in service for before having to be mandatorily retired..
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- A ballast pit for the HBR
- Colorado Central MOW
- Atlas S2 DCC Decoder Install
- Progress Update - The Twins
- SMA10 – Build a 17-Function DCC Decoder for about $5
- Cool CN lashup with slug and GMD-1
- Bridges on the Grande Pacific Railroad Instulation
- Revamping a track plan that didn't work out!
- In surprising Support of Bachmann
- Lift Out Bridges KISS