Hal Carstens passes away at home, age 84
Harold H. Carstens, publisher of Railroad Model Craftsman and Railfan & Railroad magazines, died peacefully at his New Jersey home on June 23rd.
A lifelong rail fan, modeler and active train collector, Hal Carstens was widely recognized for his numerous contributions to the hobby that spanned for than fifty years. He was a life member and early supporter of NMRA and received the organizations Distinguished Service Award in 1962. He served as president of several organizations including the Hobby Industry Association (HIAA) in 1971-72, Model Railroad Industry Association (MRIA) 1977-78 and Train Collectors Association 1964-65. He received the HIAA Meritorious Award of Honor in 1979 and was elected to the MRIA Hall of Fame in 1996. In 1989 NMRA named Mr. Carstens the Model Railroad Man of the Year.
>> Posts index
Recent blog posts
- IAIS's West End - UP's Pool Yard
- Degree of Curvature
- Detailing HO scale commuter equipment...Part Two
- Detailing HO scale commuter equipment
- Condo/Loft with a model railroad: shelving/benchwork assembly
- Kato N scale Mikado
- HO Scale New Orleans Streetcars at LAST!
- Great Find at Menards
- VTR - North Bennington Div - Working Ground Throws